What are the foods, drinks, and other items that discolor and stain your teeth the most? How can you prevent this from happening?
Many of the foods and beverages that we take in daily can discolor our teeth. Some of the most common ones include:
- Tomato Sauce
- Colored Candy
- Red wine
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Cranberry juice/grape juice
There are several other reasons—some which are even out of our control—which can cause stained teeth.
- Tobacco: teeth can yellow or brown because of the tar and nicotine found in tobacco.
- Medication: liquid iron supplements and the antibiotics tetracycline and doxycycline are tooth stainers.
- Mouthwashes: mouthwashes containing chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride discolor teeth over time.
- Trauma: impact forces that cause trauma to the teeth can mark up tooth enamel.
- Age: tooth enamel thins as your age, which shows more of the yellow dentin tissue underneath.
How To Prevent Stains
There are several items that can stain teeth, but there are also several ways to prevent staining from happening.
- Avoid taking in tooth-staining items regularly.
- Brush your teeth, especially after consuming something that stains teeth.
- Drink lots of water.
- Use a straw for tooth-staining drinks.