Are you consuming foods and drinks that are not only healthy for your waistline but also ones that are good for your gum line? Tooth decay and gum disease are often the byproducts of bad oral hygiene, but brushing and flossing are only a remedy for what comes next. What you put into your mouth is more important than the steps you take after to clean it. Here are some reminders of healthy foods to consider:
– Saliva neutralizes acids, so go for snacks that can increase saliva formation, such as chewing sugarless gum after meals. Any foods with high water content are also good at washing away bacteria or neutralizing acids. This included crunchy foods like apples and pears.
– Try eating foods such as chicken, cheese, milk, and nuts, as these all contain high amounts of tooth enamel restoring substances such as calcium and phosphorous.
– Switch out sugary sweets and foods laden in carbohydrates for choices that are less likely to result in the formation of harmful acids.
– Add an additional oral health habit after eating foods, such as using mouthwash or chewing sugarless gum.
– Snacking between meals can be costly, as it increases the time your teeth are subjected to harmful foods and bacteria.
For more advice and help from our team at Family Dentistry, Inc., come in for a visit. If you would like an oral exam or professional cleaning from Dr. D Robert Haas, please book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Lebanon, Ohio. We can be reached at 513-932-6991. We will help you in any way we can!