The healing period is extremely important, especially after wisdom tooth extraction. This is because if you don’t take proper care of your smile while you are in the recovery process, additional problems could develop and your oral health could be in grave danger. So, to help you properly recover after wisdom tooth extraction, we recommend doing the following things:
· Stop the bleeding as soon as possible. You can do this by placing a gauze pad over the affected area and gently biting down on it for 45 minutes. The pressure should help stop the bleeding. If the bleeding does not subside, feel free to repeat this process with a clean gauze pad.
· Minimize swelling by icing outside the surgical area. You can ice it with an ice pack or another cold compress. Ice the area 10 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first 24 hours. This should help with the swelling and with any discomfort you feel.
· Take the prescribed medications your doctor gives you as recommended. These pills will help with the pain. If you do not receive prescribed medications, you can dull the pain with over-the-counter medications, like Advil, Motrin, or Tylenol.
· Have a liquid-foods diet until the numbness in your mouth has subsided. Once the numbness is gone, stick to a soft-foods diet for about three days. Eating soft foods will help keep the stitches in place and will keep hard foods from being lodged into the area.
· Continue brushing your teeth as normal but do not brush the teeth that are neighboring the affected area for the first 24 hours. After the first day, you can begin brushing those teeth in a gentle and careful manner.
Call Family Dentistry, Inc. today at 513-932-6991 if you have any questions regarding your recovery process. We want you to heal in the best manner possible, and we are happy to help make that happen, even if it’s just by answering your questions. So, call our office today and talk to a member of our friendly dental team! We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. D Robert Haas if you have any concerns. We look forward to helping you!